Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Healthy Mind and Body!

This week was a short week at school because of the upcoming holiday. Since my last post, nothing spectacular has happened, but the intensity of everything is starting to amp up -- like the rumbling before the thunder. Classes are starting to pick up pace in anticipation for finals, which are in mid-late December. In recruiting-land, corporate presentations have slowed, but everyone is (supposedly) using this time to prep cover letters and put the finishing touches on our resume. I have been working on my list of target companies and will need to start making some hard choices and/or "tiering" the companies. The great thing about business school is that you have all these wonderful opportunities in front of you. The "bad" thing is that you need to start making choices. In undergrad, I applied for anything and everything and if I've learned anything from that, it's that quality is way more important than quantity. Investing time to speaking with people from the company, demonstrating your interest and really understanding what the company and the role are about are so much more effective than using that time to draft out 10 more generic cover letters. We'll see how this new strategy plays out, but so far I'm hopeful that the seeds I planted with bring something nice and juicy :)

As school started to pick up, our natural response, as b-school students, was to party harder. This past weekend, I went clubbing on Thursday night, to a bar/dancing on Friday night and then to a house party on Saturday night. Definitely the most party action I've seen in a while and to be honest, I'm quite surprised that I survived! I have never been much of a party girl, but it was fun to let loose for one weekend and to spend some quality time with my cluster, my friends and, of course, my girls.

Here's a random picture of us at Fall Ball (b-school prom):

After such an intense weekend, my body reminded me that I'm not invincible and that I'm getting older. Seriously, the aging curve from the time you graduate from college to the time you hit your mid-twenties is STEEP. My back aches in weird places, I get sore from walking up stairs and my stomach is not longer a steel compactor. Plus, I put on weight pretty quickly now! Man, for the days when I was quick, nimble and had my old metabolism. Now that I'm getting "older", I'm realizing how much more attention I need to put into my body. Recruiting has been great because of the free food, but all the pizza, cheese/crackers and soda is starting to take a toll.

I actually recently joined (yet another) club at school - the Healthy Living Club! This is actually a club I wanted to sign up for in the beginning of the year, but couldn't quite justify the extra cost. I finally decided to bite the bullet and I'm pretty happy that I did. Tonight, I went to a club-sponsored yoga class on campus and my body is thanking me for it. I've never been that flexible, but it is awesome to get a good stretch in every once in a while. I'm going to really try to make it to those weekly classes!

Also, next week, after all the Thanksgiving craziness, I'm going to be doing my first juice cleanse! I'm really excited for the experience though I hope that I don't get (too) cranky and that I'm able to be disciplined about it. The juice cleanse is being sponsored by the Healthy Living Club and is being run through Organic Avenue, a lifestyle company based in Manhattan. I am going to be doing a 3-day cleanse and am super excited about the potential results. I'm going to try to blog about my experiences at least once a day to share it with you all.

Till next time,
xoxo

No comments: