Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Mostly Settled, I think?

I'm now pretty much settled and have my room mostly put in order. My apartment is great because it's super close to school and my room is surprisingly "large" (by city standards). After starting to unpack things, I finally caught up with the reality of my move and so, now in addition to absorbing into my new surroundings, I want to adapt to the culture and the way of life here. This prompted me to make a list (because you know how I love lists!).

Things I've learned about NY/myself being in NY so far:
  • Things, especially groceries, are expensive! Lesson: buy only what you can consume/need. If it can wait, buy it online.
  • If you smile at strangers, they will either scowl back at you or catcall. (This doesn't seem to apply on campus, but the definitely the areas around it). Lesson: don't smile at strangers.
  • I am definitely scared of pigeons. Lesson: avoid pigeons.
  • Bedbugs are a real and constant concern. Lesson: worry about dirty neighbors.
  • Food is delicious! Lesson: watch what you eat. preemptive work-outs are key.

I'm sure this list will continue to grow as I get more acclimated to my new surroundings. Even though I only moved from California, I still feel like there's quite a difference in culture and how people interact with each other. I totally give major props to all my fellow international students...I can't even imagine how huge of a transition it is for them.

For kicks, here's a picture of my shoe collection (pun intended!):

It is too early to be homesick??

Till next time,
xoxo

No comments: