Saturday, August 20, 2011

Crazy New York Weather

It's summer here in NYC, which means it is humid all the time. Yesterday, I experienced my first "summer rain", which is in fact, not just rain but a sudden flash flood complete with thunder and lightening. I had to stop by school yesterday evening to pick up my laptop after the IT team had configured it. Walking to school, I found that it was still sunny and hot. One hour later, as I left the building, I saw blackness behind the school doors and sudden flashes of light. Then I heard the thunder. Other students backed off too, saying that flash rain like this typically only lasted 10-20 minutes, and so we tried to wait it off together. The rain came down in sheets, so thickly that you could only maybe see 10 feet in front of the door. We had to wait nearly 45 minutes for the rain to subside enough that you could probably walk home in it.

Now I know why people warned me that I should always carry an umbrella!

Till next time,
xoxo

No comments: