I'm back in the Big Apple for the last go! Coming back to NYC after a long break is always a rough transition - it's so hard for me to say goodbye to H and family/friends back in SF, but strange enough, once I get out of the subway an into my Manhattan neighborhood, I realize that this is feels a little bit like home to me too.
I think sometimes I'm unfair about my NYC living experience. When people ask me about it, I always smile and shrug, saying it's fun for a little bit but not for me. Saying that kind of discounts my experience. NYC is a fantastic place and 10 years ago, 16-year-old Vi only dreamt of coming to NYC and seeing all the lights in person (H would make it a reality for me 4 years later, taking me to NYC for the first time). There is so much energy, life and adrenaline here and, while it is not a great fit for me in the long-term, in the short-term it is just right.
Living in NYC has given me a sense of independence, away from the security and luxuries of home and taught me that I am okay all by myself and that I can make a life from scratch. That is a tremendously powerful thing and I am glad that I had this opportunity to experience because it's helped me become a better person.
So here's to the next 5.5 months in the city that never sleeps :)
No comments:
Post a Comment