Sunday, January 20, 2013

27!

Yesterday I turned 27. I had a nice birthday dinner with some girls from school, and then some drinks at a nearby wine bar. It was simple and low key, filled with stores, laughter and a good food/drink - exactly what I hoped for!

I'm realizing as I get older that the things I cherish are simple and sweet. I occasionally get obsessed with material things, but I hope to remember that those things bring only quick moments of happiness. One of the things we learned in behavioral economics is about how humans adapt to new situations much quicker than they realize. What this means is that buying a new purse of pair of shoes may seem of paramount importance in one moment, but once you buy it, you will quickly adapt to ownership of that item, will value the ownership of it less over time, and quickly be fixated on the next thing. It's an endless (and expensive) cycle. As I move towards my 30's (eek!), I want to learn to not only simplify my life, but also my desires for materials things.

Aside from that, I am very excited about what 27 has to offer - my final semester of business school, graduation, a move to a mystery location, a new job, and WEDDING PLANNING! 27 promises to be a great year and I can't wait.

Cheers!

No comments: