Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Clubbing

A few weeks ago, CBS hosted its Association Day, a club-day on campus where all the organizations set up booths and talk to prospective members about what the club is about, the benefits of membership and (of course) the leadership opportunities. Now that we've all had the chance to sign up for clubs and pay our dues (ouch), it's time to run for AVP positions.

Because business school is only a two year program, students come in.. and before you know it, you're technically a "senior" and run the school for a quick second before you're out again. To make the transitions smoother, clubs have developed the concept of "AVP" positions, so 1st years can learn the ropes so that they can have successful 2nd years in leadership. AVP stands for Assistant Vice Presidents and do exactly that... assist the VPs. To get an AVP position, you have to submit and application and, in many instances, interview.

There was a lot of debate with my classmates about the true benefits of getting an leadership/AVP position. Personally, I think it really depends on what you are looking to get out of school. If you are just in it for the job, it's probably not that important. If you're looking to try something new or to work on your leadership skills then it's probably worth your time! Coming to business school, everyone has different priorities on what they want to get out of this (very expensive) experience.

Originally tempted to run for every AVP position I thought was semi-relevant to myself and my career goals, I took a step back and decided that I'd just run for the one that I really wanted. If I get it, cool and if not, no worries. There are so many things to get involved in, so many ways to spend my time that it won't really matter in the long run.

Second year students often talk about FOMO (fear of missing out). It's really out there and is something that I think all students worry about. Eventually though, you just got to focus on you and why you are there. Otherwise, you'll go crazy! It's important to stay organized so you don't accidentally miss an event you wanted to go to, but otherwise... to take a quote from Jersey Shore, "you be you".

Till next time,
xoxo

No comments: