Thursday, July 14, 2011

Cooking School! (Thailand 6)

Today we went to a half-day cooking course at Siam Rice Thai Cooking School. We first began our trip with a visit to the market, where our host taught us about a lot of the different herbs and veggies commonly used in Thai cooking. The food market is outside in a tented-area, so a lot of the different scents stay trapped in. With all of the colors and smells, it was a sensory overload!

Learning about the different herbs and spices
Our instructor for the day
Dried silkworms... yikes!
Dried fruits... yum!

Once we arrived to the school, we selected which items we wanted to learn how to make from a menu. H and I both ended up making a soup, a stir-fry, and a curry. Both being relatively new to cooking, we were a little daunted by the menu, but everything ended up being relatively simple to make (except the curry!) and tasted delicious! I definitely plan on practicing a bit in the month I have left before moving to NYC :)

Making soup
Aww, such a cutie :)
FIRE!!!
Making curry paste...
Finished product!
Enjoying the fruits (curries) of our labor!

Once we got back to the hotel, we decided to treat ourselves to a trip to the spa at our hotel. The spa was super fancy but was having a good deal on some of the treatments. After my traumatic experience with Thai massages, I opted for a good ole' Swedish treatment. I also got a facial to (hopefully) help sooth my skin, which has been unhappy with me for the last few days, especially with all the pollution and overall dirtiness in Bangkok!

After our massages, we rushed out to to the streets of Chiang Mai to check out a famous bakery called Love at First Bite. They are known for their cheesecake and you know H loves himself a good cheesecake. We got there just 15 or 20 minutes before closing, but were able to score a piece of coconut cream pie and a slice of brownie cheesecake. The sweets weren't outstandingly delicious, but they were good enough.

Tomorrow, we jet back to Bangkok where we'll stay overnight before heading to Hong Kong. I've really enjoyed my time in Thailand, but I gotta admit - I'm super excited about going to HK!!! :)

Till next time,
xoxo

No comments: